Thursday, April 19, 2012

Simple Italian Food Done Right

This past Wednesday night found me craving a GOOD Italian cold cut hoagie.  Now having been born in Philadelphia and raised with the knowledge of what qualifies as a proper Italian cold cut left me with to very unappealing alternatives.  Either drive the 100 miles to Philadelphia or simply go without.  Neither option was acceptable at the time so I sat for a few moments to ponder how I would resolve this dilemma that had presented itself.  Eventually I remembered having stumbled across a small place in Baltimore's Little Italy neighborhood two years prior.  So I took a 15 minute bus ride and strolled another 5 blocks south into Little Italy and there it was...Isabella's Brick Oven.

Isabella's is actually more like a page from our past.  It is quite small (tiny may actually be a more accurate description) but serves multiple purposes simultaneously.  It is part deli, part market and part restaurant all shoehorned into a storefront on the northeast corner of S High & Stiles Streets.  There are only three tables inside along with the deli counter and a refrigerated display case that showcases the delectable treats for sale such as caprese, stuffed peppers, sauteed mushrooms and my favorite, marinated eggplant...I love me some marinated eggplant! Isabella's also has a full menu to choose from including hot and cold sandwiches and pizza that is baked in a brick oven.

I ordered the Italian cold cut (no surprise here) which is a masterpiece of prosciutto di parma, mortadella, proscuittini, capicollo, romaine lettuce, fresh tomatoes and an olive oil & red wine vinegar dressing.  Along with some marinated eggplant and caprese my mission was accomplished.

I have no reservation about giving the nod to Isabella's for having the best Italian cold cut in Baltimore.  I'll even go so far as to say it is the best I've found south of Philly.  Personally I think it will be some time before the title(s) are seriously challenged.  High praise indeed but I feel it is justified.

Places like Isabella's are both a joy and rarity at the same time.  They somehow foster and retain a sense of neighborhood and community within their walls and they exist to be experienced.  People stop in to chat, strangers talk to each other and say hello just for the sake of saying hello.  Though carryout is available and more often than not opted for due to our hectic schedules, dine in if you have the time.  Order your meal and a few sides and grab a table.  Take your time, enjoy your meal and those you are with.  Talk, listen and dine instead of eating.  Take the time to say hello to those around you.  Trust me, you will be glad you did.




Mangia, Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment