Monday, April 9, 2012

Carolina BBQ, South Baltimore Style

So this past Saturday with nothing other to do than enjoy a beautiful sunny day in Baltimore, I decided to keep with the barbeque theme and try some Carolina barbeque, Baltimore style.

I headed down to Harbor Que, which appears to be a relatively unknown spot in the Locust Point neighborhood of south Baltimore.  I will admit that I was a bit unsure about my chances of getting something great here.  The place has apparently been there a few years and the only reason I had heard of them was by way of a BBQ party.  Nothing about Harbor Que jumps out at you and say "WOW", but I decided to give them a try, and I can't say I was disappointed.  I ordered the pulled pork barbeque sandwich with sides of corn bread and cole slaw and a sweet tea.  I will say that the sides were rather unimpressive, not bad but just nothing great about them.  As far as the pulled pork barbeque goes...we were at complete opposite ends of the spectrum.  What first grabs your attention is the sheer size of the sandwich, it is huge!  Every bit of  a two fister and it was fantastic.   I was a bit surprised to not see a vinegar based sauce as an option, but once I tried the sweet sauce for this sandwich that became a not issue.  The pork was most definitely cooked in the "low and slow" fashion.  I say this because it was so unbelievably moist and tasty.

I was hoping to try a brisket but did not see that as an option on the menu.  This wasn't a great suprise since I do know that some establishments specialize in either beef or pork barbeque but not necessarily both.  Well, I happened to mention this to Miss Stella, the nice lady at the register and it turns out they do cook brisket, you simply need to come in on Thursday.  So it seems I have a follow up visit in my near future, not a bad thing as far as I can see.  Now for the record I think the pork barbeque was fantastic but my curiosity had gotten the better of me prior to leaving so asked Miss Stella if I could try a sampling of their pit beef.  As it turns out, the pit beef is pretty damn good, too!  But that is for another day and post.

If you have the taste for some barbeque, head down to 1421 Lawrence Street and grab a bite at Harbor Que.  I haven't tried the chicken or the brisket yet but if they are anything like the pulled pork or the pit beef you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment